Sunday, April 6, 2014

eBook Experience Activity



Lawn to Lawn, by Dan Yaccarino, is a children’s picture book that features four lawn ornaments who embark on a daring journey. The ornaments, loved Pearl, the girl who lived at their first home but in the hustle and bustle of a move, they were left behind. The four ornaments were very afraid of being thrown to the curb and being taken away by the dreaded trash truck; they had to find Pearl at once. This story shares their wild adventure as they find their loving home and their dear friend, Pearl.

I found this eBook on the St. Johns County Public Library website. I did, however,  have to type in my library card number to access this book. There is also a picture below that shows the book cover.



            I truly enjoyed reading this book in electronic format as well as others throughout this semester. With the eBook, Lawn to Lawn, in particular, I liked the layout of the Overdrive.com website and the various viewing options. For instance, the site allows the reader to change the contrast of the text: either white background and black text, or black background and white text. Also, the font size, font style, line spacing, and the text scale (amount of words on each page) were adjustable.
             I feel that this site is a fantastic resource that holds educational value. It is extremely user-friendly, easy to navigate and accommodating for readability. I plan to use this site and continue exploring other eBook options for use in my classroom, especially since the role of technology and the desire for all classrooms in the future to use eBook text books is so high. eBooks can be used in school settings by using iPads and other tablets,  computer desktop and mobile apps, as well as using SmartBoards or other interactive whiteboards. This semester was one of my first experiences with eBooks and I’m hooked and excited read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment