Monday, April 21, 2014

Visual Perception Assessment

  I assessed the visual perception of two people, first my wife (normal vision and reading ability- no disabilities) and one of my students, a 5 year-old boy (Visually Impaired --ocular albinism, nystagmus, visual acuity of 20/70, wears glasses)
            When I assessed my wife, I showed her a pencil and first had her track it while keeping her head still. She followed the pencil perfectly. There appeared to be no difficulty with this task. Then, I had her focus on the pencil and count the “me’s” and she noted two. Then, I asked her to focus on me and count the pencils. She reported two pencils.
              When I assessed my student his nystagmus seemed to be more evident when trying to focus on the pencil up close. He did track the pencil fine but he also moved his head slightly. When asked to focus on the pencil and count the “me’s” he didn’t seem to understand. He replied “I only see you Mr. Joey, there’s just one of you.” And for the pencil he also said “there’s only one pencil.”


No comments:

Post a Comment